My skincare regimen varies seasonally, but using a purifying mask is something that I do year round because it helps with pulling out toxins from the skin. Also, when you’re hit a certain age (over 35, particularly), it’s important to start taking care of your skin as it begins to, well, age.
My daughter, Christian, came up with a serious DIY face mask made from a few kitchen items. The main ingredient is one that the beautiful women of India have used for many years…turmeric.
Why turmeric makes an outstanding facial mask main ingredient:
- It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- It also reduces the oils produced by overactive sebaceous glands that cause acne and cysts.
- It protects from sun damage.
- It’s known to aid in the slowing down the process of aging skin
- It is used as an anti-cancer agent.
These are all excellent reasons to make a turmeric mask a natural part of your skin regimen.
There are a few things I’d like to note about this turmeric masque (or mask):
- If you have sensitive skin you’ll want to test it on a small area first.
- It is orange and can stain your skin slightly. The longer you leave it on, the more staining. You may just want to keep that in mind in the event that you get busy with your day and you still have the masque on your face.
- Since you can have some staining, it’s better to use this masque at night, before bed or when you’re not going to be leaving home.
Don’t worry. The yellowish tint that it leaves on your skin will go away within a couple of hours. (I use black soap to get the masque off, and it helps get rid of some of the yellow tint a bit faster.)
Also, do not use this around the eye area.
The recipe for Christian’s Turmeric Masque, is below.
You can use it to spot treat certain areas, or blemishes, on your skin, or place it on your full face like I did here.
Christian usually uses it in certain areas and does it more frequently to treat any outbreaks.
My baby girl even wanted in on the action. I guess we do look a little silly with orange faces, or in her words, “We look cray.”
Here’s how to make it:
1/3 cup Turmeric
2 Tbsp Honey (antioxidant and moisturizing properties)
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar With the Mother (astringent and alpha hydroxy acids)
1/2 tsp ginger (free radical damage and protects against aging)
1 Tbsp lemon juice (skin brightener)
Mix together to form a sticky paste. The texture should look something like this:
Place it on your skin for up to 30 minutes. That’s it! I’m in today with sick kiddies and doing some blog posts, so I’m actually using the masque right now. Comment below with your favorite facial masque. I’d love to hear about it.